Canada Parent and Grandparent Super Visa
Travelers with a parent and grandparent Canada super visa can enjoy multiple entries and an extended stay in Canada. Read the following to know more about the application process and other details regarding the Canada super visa.
Canada offers great benefits to overseas visitors. One of them is providing super visas to parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
Visiting Canada is simpler than ever since Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has introduced the simplified and streamlined process of obtaining electronic travel authorisation or Online Canada Visa. Online Canada Visa is an travel permit or electronic travel authorization to enter and visit Canada for a period of less than 6 months for tourism or business. International tourists must have a Canada eTA to be able to enter Canada and explore this beautiful country. Foreign citizens can apply for an Online Canada Visa Application in a matter of minutes. Online Canada Visa Application process is automated, simple, and completely online.
What is a Canada Super Visa?
The Canada super visa is a special travel authorization that allows visitors to enter Canada multiple times and is specifically meant for the parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. This special document allows the elderly to visit their children or grandchildren for up to a period of 5 years at a time.
Canadian border authorities will process and confirm how long you can stay when you enter the country using the Canada super visa. The Canada super visa is valid for up to 10 years, and there is no need to renew the status within the validity period.
Why should you apply for the Canada Super visa?
You are required to apply for a Canada super visa if you wish to stay longer than 6 months in the country.
If you are staying less than 6 months, you can use either a Canada eTA or a traditional Canadian visa to visit your family.
Online Canada Visa, or Canada eTA, is a mandatory travel documents for citizens of visa-exempt countries. If you are a citizen of a Canada eTA eligible country, or if you are a legal resident of the United States, you will need eTA Canada Visa for layover or transit, or for tourism and sightseeing, or for business purposes, or for medical treatment. Learn more at Online Canada Visa Application Process.
Who is eligible to apply for Canada super visa?
If you are qualified to enter the country, then you can apply for Canada super visa to visit your children or grandchildren living in Canada for up to a period of 5 years at a time (previously, people were allowed to stay for only 2 years).
The Canada super visa is an excellent long-stay alternative to overseas visitors arriving in Canada using either a Canadian tourist visa or a Canada eTA which usually allows the travelers to stay in the country for up to 6 consecutive months per visit.
Travelers from foreign nations must be considered genuine visitors in order to be granted a Canada super visa. In other terms, the parent or the grandparent must be admissible to enter Canada.
The admissibility of the traveler is determined by many factors like security, health, financial status, etc. It must be noted that the visitor’s background plays an essential role.
- Their relationship with their homeland
- The sociopolitical and economic stability of their home country
- The purpose of visit to Canada
- The applicant’s family and their financial stability
These are some of the factors that will also be considered during the application process.
It is highly important that the parents or the grandparents take an immigration medical exam and provide all the necessary documents to have a hassle-free trip to Canada.
The mix of Montreal's history, landscape, and architectural marvels from the 20th century creates an endless list of sites to see. Montreal is the second-oldest city in Canada.. Learn more at Tourist Guide to Must Visit Places in Montreal.
Canada super visa – the checklist
Make sure that you fit into the eligibility criteria and then provide the following documents while applying for the Canada super visa.
- You must be a parent or a grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada to fit into the criteria
- The Canada super visa is ONLY meant for parents and grandparents of people who live in Canada permanently. It is important that the child or the grandchild must be an authorized citizen of Canada or must hold a valid permanent residence permit.
- You must provide a signed invitation letter from your children or grandchildren living in Canada
- It is important that you get a signed invitation letter from your family, and the invitation letter must include the following –
- Assurance to support your financial needs during your stay in Canada
- List of number of people living in their household
- Copy of the children’s or grandchildren’s authorized citizenship document or permanent residence permit
- You have to take out a medical insurance with a Canadian company
- The most important part of Canada super visa eligibility is that you must take out insurance with a prominent Canadian company. The insurance must be valid for at least a period of 12 months from the date of your arrival in Canada. An emergency coverage fund of at least $100,000 is required to apply for the Canada super visa. You should provide proof that the fund has been paid in full.
Before applying for the Canada Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) you must make sure to have a valid passport from a visa-exempt country, an email address that is valid and working and credit/debit card for online payment. Learn more at Canada Visa Eligibility and Requirements.
What is the minimum income amount required to apply for the Canada super visa?
First and foremost, your family, the children, or the grandchildren living in Canada are required to provide proof of funds. The inviting children or grandchildren must be able to support your financial needs during your stay in the country.
The minimum income amount required to apply for the Canada super visa is around $26,620 for a 1-person family unit. This is not a fixed amount; it is subject to change.
Please check out the latest income requirements before applying for the Canada super visa.
Required documents for providing proof of funds
The inviting family must meet at least the minimum necessary income. There is a list of documents that can be used to prove financial means for the parent or the grandparent in order to apply for the Canada super visa. They are:
- Pay slips
- Bank account statements
- Employment letter with information regarding salary, job title, and hire date
- Employment Insurance Benefit statements
- Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1
How to apply for a Canada super visa for a parent or a grandparent?
You must be outside of Canada in order to apply for the Canada super visa.
There are certain prerequisites, and if you meet the eligibility criteria, then you can complete the Canada super visa application in the following steps:
- Fill out the online Canada super visa application form
- Upload the necessary documents
- Pay the Canada super visa fee using a valid credit or debit card
You can also apply on paper. Make sure you read the guidelines mentioned below before applying.
Whitehorse, which is home to 25,000 people, or more than half of Yukon's entire population, has developed recently into a significant hub for the arts and culture. With this list of the top tourist attractions in Whitehorse, you can discover the greatest things to do in this small but intriguing city. Learn more at Tourist Guide to Whitehorse, Canada.
Canada Super Visa Processing Times and Approval
Almost all Canada super visa applications are processed and approved within a few weeks of application. But the waiting time may vary depending upon the visa office and authorities.
Approved applicants will be provided with a letter to present to the Canadian border authorities on arriving in Canada.
The passengers from visa-exempt nations can also apply for Canada super visa. Those travelers will have to apply for a Canada eTA in order to travel to Canada.
Canada Super Visa Update – Stay Extended in 2022
The passengers must know that there have been some important updates to the Canada super visa in 2022.
The maximum length of stay in Canada used to be 2 years previously. Now it has been increased from 2 years to 5 years.
- If you apply for the Canada super visa on or after July 4, 2022, using the Canada super visa, you will be able to stay in the country for up to 5 years at a time.
However, there is a possibility that you will be able to reap the same benefits even if you have submitted the Canada super visa application before July 4, 2022.
- Though the Canadian authorities approved your Canada super visa application before July 4, 2022, as long as you enter Canada using Canada super visa after July 4, 2022, you will be eligible to stay in the country for up to 5 years at a time.
- If you entered Canada with a valid Canada super visa before July 4, 2022 – if the Canadian authorities granted you 2 years of stay in the country, it will remain the same. However, if you want to extend or benefit from the increased stay option, you should leave the country before the end of your current authorized stay and re-enter Canada after July 4, 2022.
- You can also apply for an extension of up to 2 years.
- If the Canadian authorities approve your Canada super visa after July 4, 2022, then you can stay up to 5 years at a time.
Vancouver is one of the few places on Earth where you can ski, surf, travel back in time more than 5,000 years, see a pod of orcas play, or take a stroll through the best urban park in the world all in the same day. Vancouver, British Columbia, is indisputably West Coast, nestled between wide lowlands, a lush temperate rain forest, and an uncompromising mountain range. Learn more at Tourist Guide to Must Visit Places in Vancouver.
What is the difference between Canada super visa for parents or grandparents and a traditional Canadian visitor visa?
The Canada super visa is available only to parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada, while everyone can obtain traditional Canadian visitor visas.
A traditional Canadian visitor visa can be valid for a stay of up to 6 months. If you wish to extend your stay in Canada, you need to apply to extend your Canadian visa and pay a particular amount as fees.
But with a Canada super visa, qualified parents and grandparents can visit their family in the country for a longer period than with a traditional Canadian visa.
With Canada super visa, you can stay for up to 5 years at a time without needing to apply for an extension and paying a fee. It allows multiple entries for a period of 10 years.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is the Canada super visa for parents and grandparents a multiple entry visa?
Yes. The Canada super visa available for parents and grandparents is indeed a multi-entry visa. It allows multiple entries for a period of 10 years with the benefit of staying up to 5 years at a time.
Who is eligible for a Canada super visa for parents and grandparents?
In order to be eligible for Canada super visa –
- The applicant must be the parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada
- They must meet the eligibility criteria to enter the country using the Canada super visa.
Even if they are not eligible to travel to Canada using the Canada super visa, they can apply for a visitor visa.
How to calculate the family size living in Canada while applying for the Canada super visa?
While calculating the family size, ensure that you include the following –
- The child or the grandchild inviting you to Canada
- The spouse of the child or grandchild
- The dependents of the child or grandchild inviting you
- Any other dependents traveling with you
- Any other person who is sponsoring or co-signing
Is there any alternative to Canada super visa?
Yes. You can stay in Canada temporarily using the parent and grandparent sponsorship program. If not so, you can visit Canada using a traditional Canadian visitor visa.
Check your eligibility for Online Canada Visa and apply for eTA Canada Visa 3 days in advance of your flight. British citizens, Italian citizens, Spanish citizens, French citizens, Israeli citizens, South Korean citizens, Portuguese citizens, and Chilean citizens can apply online for eTA Canada Visa. Should you need any help or require any clarifications you should contact our helpdesk for support and guidance.